Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Then in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make.

Old Beatle lyrics. Seems like much of what I know about life has been gleaned from the lyrics of some song or another. Profound writers like Randy Newman:

Got a big black dog
And his name is Dan
Who lives in my backyard in Birmingham
He is the meanest dog in Alabam'
Get 'em Dan...

or...

Guilty...baby I'm guilty
and I'll be guilty all the rest of my life
How come I never do,
what I'm 'sposed to do?
How come nothin' that I try to do
ever turns out right?

or of course Bob Dylan:

God said to Abraham kill me a son
Abe said man, you must be puttin' me on,
God say no,
Abe say What,
God say you can do what you want Abe but
next time you see me comin'
you better run,
Abe say, where you want this killin' done,
God say out on highway 61,

All I really wanna do...
is baby be friends with you.

or Leonard Cohen:

You loved me as a loser but now you're worried that I just might win,
you know the way to stop me but you don't have the discipline.

The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor
and there's a mighty judgment comin'
but I could be wrong...

The three wise Jews I call 'em.

But there have been the occasional one or few hit wonders that have something to say as well.

All we are is dust in the wind.

Alone again, naturally

Diggin' the scene with the Gangsta lean

We can go on and on and on, There is the under appreciated Harry Nilsson:

Every drop of rain
falls a million times it's own length
to crash upon earth's floor
and with it's pain causes life to start anew
Each second fights it's way magically through your
entire life
Like a salmon traveling upstream to it's final destination
And with it's goal in sight
Life ends to start anew
Each man lives far beyond his own span
And rides the life of all mankind
And not until his kind is past will he
And not until you die
Will each second of your life conclude
And not until it crashes against the earth
will a drop of rain have fallen
Not until all men are dead will you die
And life will start anew
and you will have traveled
A million times your own time...

Well...I had to do special kudo's to Harry. Good poem Harry,
Great Song. and magically....Salmon Falls.

That's all I think. Harry's poem just kinda took the wind right
out of my sails.

But do listen to the poets...musicians, even the accidental ones.

Hey Micky, you're so fine
you're so fine I lose my mind,
Hey Micky.

No comments: